zaterdag 30 juli 2011
The Enemy Agent and You (1964) CIA Archives
This U.S. Army film discusses security awareness and responsibilities in relation to overseas travel.
MP4 - 83,1MB - 24m51s - Youtube rip
An Agent is someone that has been authorized to function on behalf of another. There are several types of agent in use today.
* Double agent, "is a person who engages in clandestine activity for two intelligence or security services (or more in joint operations), who provides information about one or about each to the other, and who wittingly withholds significant information from one on the instructions of the other or is unwittingly manipulated by one so that significant facts are withheld from the adversary.
Peddlers, fabricators, and others who work for themselves rather than a service are not double agents because they are not agents. The fact that doubles have an agent relationship with both sides distinguishes them from penetrations, who normally are placed with the target service in a staff or officer capacity."
* Re-doubled agent, an agent who gets caught as a double agent and is forced to mislead the foreign intelligence service.
* Unwitting double agent, an agent who offers or is forced to recruit as a double or re-doubled agent and in the process is recruited by either a third party intelligence service or his own government without the knowledge of the intended target intelligence service or the agent. This can be useful in capturing important information from an agent that is attempting to seek allegiance with another country.
The double agent usually has knowledge of both intelligence services and can identify operational techniques of both, thus making third party recruitment difficult or impossible. The knowledge of operational techniques can also effect the relationship between the Operations Officer (or case officer) and the agent if the case is transferred by an Operational Targeting Officer to a new Operations Officer, leaving the new officer vulnerable to attack. This type of transfer may occur when an officer has completed his term of service or when his cover is blown.
* Triple agent, an agent that is working for three intelligence services.
* Intelligence agent: Provides access to sensitive information through the use of special privileges. If used in corporate intelligence gathering, this may include gathering information of a corporate business venture, stock portfolio, or the creation of a new menu item at a restaurant.
In economic intelligence, "Economic Analysts may use their specialized skills to analyze and interpret economic trends and developments, assess and track foreign financial activities, and develop new econometric and modeling methodologies." This may also include information of trade or tariff.
* Access agent: Provides access to other potential agents by providing profiling information that can help lead to recruitment into an intelligence service.
* Agent of influence: Someone who may provide political influence in an area of interest or may even provide publications needed to further an intelligence service agenda. I.e. The use of the media to print a story to mislead a foreign service into action, exposing their operations while under surveillance.
* Agent provocateur: This type of agent will instigate trouble or may provide information to gather as many people as possible into one location for an arrest.
* Facilities agent: A facilities agent may provide access to buildings such as garages or offices used for staging operations, resupply, etc.
* Principle agent: This agent functions as a handler for an established network of agents usually Blue Chip.
* Confusion agent: May provide misleading information to an enemy intelligence service or attempt to discredit the operations of the target in an operation.
* Sleeper agent: A sleeper agent is a person who is recruited to an intelligence service to wake up and perform a specific set of tasks or functions while living under cover in an area of interest. This type of agent is not the same as a deep cover operative who is continually in contact with their case officer in order to file intelligence reports. A sleeper agent will not be in contact with anyone until activated.
* Illegal agent: This is a person who is living in another country under false credentials that does not report to a local station. A non official cover operative is a type of cover used by an intelligence operative and can be dubbed an "Illegal" when working in another country without diplomatic protection.